Are pest control chemicals harmful?
Pest control chemicals can be harmful if they are used in the wrong way or without care. They come in a wide range with varying levels of toxicity. Every pest problem has a different solution, so it is important for you to know when your property or business is in need of a chemical agent compared with traditional prevention methods. Also, a chemical that may seem fairly weak could cause you to have side effects if you expose yourself to it to much without proper protection.
Does it matter what chemical I use?
Choosing the right chemicals can pose a challenge for most people. Using the wrong substances could make an already tough situation worse. For example, with ants you first need to identify the ant species correctly, then take several specific actions to eliminate the problem. If you misidentify the breed (which is easily done to the untrained eye), your chemicals will not work. Also, an ant infestation might involve more than one species in the same location. One of the colonies may be immune to a certain pesticide that wipes out another with no issues. Furthermore, the chemical you use to kill a nest may not exterminate all of the ants in it. The surviving ants could gain immunity to the chemical and form a whole new colony, meaning you are back to square one.
What effect can chemicals have on my health?
Pest control chemicals need to be handled with great care which is why it is always advisable to get a professional in when handling the substance. Misuse of these chemicals can lead to many symptoms of acute poisoning from pesticides and may include:
- stomach cramps
- blurred vision
- excess saliva.
- More severe poisoning may also lead to changes in heart rate, chest tightness, muscle weakness and twitching, difficulty breathing and walking, constricted pupils and incontinence. In very severe cases of poisoning, seizures and unconsciousness may occur.
Try pest prevention first if possible
- Fix leaks in plumbing when they occur it is important not to let water accumulate anywhere in the home.
- Clutter and mess provide places for pests to breed and hide and makes it hard to get rid of them. Clean up things like stacks of newspapers, magazines, or cardboard. As pests can use these as nests.
- Close off places where pests can enter and hide. For example, cracks and crevices around cabinets or household appliances. Use steel wool to fill spaces around pipes.
- Remove sources of food, water and shelter.
- Learn about and identify the pests you have and options to control them.
- Store food in sealed plastic or glass containers. Garbage containing food scraps should be placed in tightly covered trash cans. Remove garbage regularly from your home.
Pesticide safety and you
If you do choose to take the pest control problem into your hands, which we do not advise, it is important that you follow safety tips and directions carefully by doing the following:
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully and always use the product strictly as directed. Do not use more than the recommended amount and make sure that you follow all safety precautions.
- Do not eat, drink or smoke while using a pesticide.
- Wear the protective clothing suggested in the manufacturer’s instructions whenever you handle or use the pesticide, for example, rubber gloves.
- Do not mix pesticides. You risk an unexpected and potentially dangerous chemical reaction.
- Store the pesticide in its original container with the lid firmly sealed and keep out of the reach of children, for example, locked in a high cupboard in the garage. Never transfer pesticides into containers that children might mistake for food or drink.
- Do not set traps or place baits in areas that are accessible to children, pets or native animals.
- Wash your hands after use.
Explore your pest control options today with CPS today – phone 1300 766 614
WE'RE NOT HAPPY UNLESS YOU'RE HAPPYSEE HOW IT WORKS
With Competitive Pest Control Services you’ll never have to worry about paying for a job that hasn’t been done.
If you’re not satisfied with our services, we’ll not only give you your money back, we’ll return it to you twofold. That’s right: you’ll not only receive a full refund, we’ll also pay to have your pest problem sorted by our competition.*
We’re always trying to raise the standard of service, it’s one of the reasons we were name Australian Pest Manager of the Year four times in the past six years. When you employ our services, you know your pest problem will soon be a distant memory. What could be more satisfying than that?
*Please contact us to hear more about our 200% Money Back Guarantee - as due to issues sometimes outside our control, not all services may be covered by this offer.